Sunday, September 16, 2012

Meet Thomas Alan Cardall

Thomas Alan Cardall was born September 13, 2012 at 3pm 
weighing 6 pounds 15 ounces and 19 inches long.



We checked into McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden, Utah the morning of the 13th at 8am to be induced. I was started on pitocin by about 8:30 and was dilated to a 3+. At 1:15 my doctor Wesley Davis came by on his lunch break to break my water and I was still at a 3+. At 2pm I asked for the epidural. By 2:30, the epidural had not kicked in and my contractions were getting much worse and coming very close together. The nurse had him come back in and give me a shot of something directly into my IV. After a few more contractions the pain began to ease off. At this point the nurse checked me and informed us that I was at a 10 and she was holding the baby in with her hand. She called for Dr Davis and he arrived about 10 minutes later. 

By this point I was so numb I couldn't move, felt like I was going to pass out and my mind felt very foggy. But I willed myself to stay conscious as I pushed twice, or at least they said I pushed I couldn't feel a thing. After 2 pushes the doctor said the cord was around the babies neck and lowering his heartrate, so he was going to take him out with the next push. And on push number 3, at 3pm, our unnamed baby boy was born. 




As we were looking at our new, beautiful baby boy, the few names we had been leaning toward did not seem to fit. He was not a Lucas, Daniel, or a William. Once in recovery, as I was watching the nurse bath him, I looked at Dan and said, he's a Tommy. Dan completely agreed. So we started trying to fill in the middle name with Lucas, or Daniel etc but nothing seemed to fit. About an hour later, Dan said, what about Thomas Alan. And I new that was it. It was the perfect name.

Thomas was named after my grandfather Thomas Justus, and come to find out there is also a Thomas on Dan's mom's side and his dad's side. Alan is after Dan's father Joseph Alan and it is also Dan's middle name.



Tommy with Grandma and Grandpa Cardall



Eddie holding his little brother for the first time. 
He was so gentle and careful with him, but did not want to let go of him.



Our first family picture, taken on Saturday when we got home from the hospital.


No comments:

Post a Comment