Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Mother's Proudest Moment

As a mom, there are a lot of milestones that occur in your child's life. The first smile, the first laugh, the first step. And with all of them we celebrate our child's accomplishment, and our own for either teaching them how, or enduring the learning process.

Most of the time I feel that Eddie is too young to comprehend what is going on around him. At least I like to think that he doesn't understand the word "no" as opposed to thinking he is willfully ignoring me.

But a few weeks ago I learned that he catches on pretty fast. We were sitting in church, getting ready for the sacrament prayer, when Eddie suddenly folded his arms and bowed his head. I thought that maybe it was just a fluke, but he did it again at family prayer before bedtime. He doesn't stay this way through the whole prayer, but will do it off and on amongst walking between Dan and I until we are done. Then he claps instead of saying amen.

Now, every night when it is bedtime, Eddie will walk into his room and fold his arms, looking at Dan and I as if to say "I"m ready for prayer". We then kneel down together as a family, say a prayer, then Eddie gives us kisses, even Tommy, then goes to bed.

 Over the last year I have often felt that church was not worth the struggle. Eddie would fight us during sacrament, then be so tired during the last 2 hours that it was just a pain to try to keep him quiet and happy. There were many Sundays that I decided it was just easier to stay home. But now I know that the effort is worth it. 

So more often that not, when we pray, my eyes are open so that I can watch Eddie fold his arms and close his eyes. I can't help but smile. This has been my proudest moment as a mother. And it gives me hope that as I continue to live my life the way I should that maybe, just maybe, Eddie will catch onto some of the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment