Tuesday, April 9, 2013

#7 Life's Lessons Learned While Running

I have learned a very valuable technique to use when running. I call it the "check in". If at any point during my run I start to feel exhausted, or have pain, or want to stop, I do a check in.

So what is a check in you might ask? I start with my breathing. I take a few deep breathes and make sure that my breath isn't too shallow or fast. Then I check my posture. Are my shoulders back? Head up? Arms swinging evenly at my sides? How is my cadence and stride? And lastly, if I feel pain, where is it coming from and can I fix it?

I have learned that more often than not, when I start to feel like I can't run any further, it isn't because my body is too tired. It's because my mind says I am. Just by doing this quick little check, I realize that my body feels fine. I can breath, my legs feel strong, and I tell myself I can keep going.

I think that a "check in" is a great thing to implement in everyday life as well. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with life that I think I can't do it all. At these times we need to have a little check in. Am I saying daily prayers? Am I reading my scriptures? Am I attending my church meetings? Am I spending quality time with my family? Am I exercising? (You can fill these questions in with things important to you).

And once we've had this check in, make the little changes so you can answer yes the next time. If you find yourself lacking in a few areas, make it a point to concentrate on those things over the next few days. Just by this little step, you can simplify the demands of life and realize things might not be quite as bad as they feel. You can do it, just one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment