Thursday, September 29, 2011

My New Hobby

About 6 weeks ago I was watching a program on TV that showed a lady sewing a pillowcase. For some strange reason I starting thinking "That looks like fun." Since I have never cared to sew before I tried to disregard the thought. It kept nagging at me over the next week so I told Dan's mom who is big into that kind of thing that I wanted her to teach me how. Due to scheduling issues we didn't find time to get together. Then we went up to Montana over labor day weekend. My sister in law, who had made me the most amazing burp cloths ever, had me stop by JoAnns Fabrics with her because she was going to be making some more for our cousin. I persuaded her to teach me how to make them, and the addiction began.

Since then I have been taking lessons from Nancy. I've mainly been having her teach me how to make things that people have made for me over the years. So far I've only done a few things as it has been a steep learning curve, but I am officially possessed. All I want to do is sew, and when I'm not, it's all I think about.

My poor husband is starting to wonder what happened to his wife. He figured hell would freeze over before I would ever be found sewing or ironing, and now they are a permanent fixture in our home.

Here are the burp cloths that Shannon taught me how to make.


Here is me getting a little creative with some leftover fabric I had.

And here is my masterpiece thus far. Most people have seen the amazing car seat cover that my friend Whitney Gardner made for me. I wanted to learn how to do it, so with Nancy's help we were able to replicate it pretty close. It is nowhere near as high quality as the one Whitney made for me, but I think it came out pretty well considering I'm a beginner. I gave this one to my neighbor who had a baby girl a few weeks before I had Eddie.


No comments:

Post a Comment