Tuesday, March 5, 2013

#1 Life's Lessons Learned While Running

Yesterday as I was running, I took a much wider loop around Highland than I usually do because I needed to hit in 12 miles. I like to run by the Timpanogos Temple and it happens to be on a great running road. The first time I ran past it was 2 weeks ago and I approached it from the West side. As it came into my view at about mile 2, I realized that the temple sat on a hill that I was going to have to run up. The hill wasn't horrible, but I was so glad to make it to the top and enjoyed the beautiful view once I was there.

Yesterday, I approached it from the south. As I was running on the main road, it was a straight shot to the temple, however, there was a huge hill right before it. I watched the hill get closer and closer, and bigger and bigger. I was almost 5 miles in and thinking this is going to kill me. Especially since I had another 7 miles still to go.

But I started up the hill not changing my stride. About halfway up, and feeling like I was going to die, a biker crested over the top of the hill and came speeding toward me. Oh what I would have given to one, be on a bike, and two, be going downhill!

I may have been silently cursing this biker as I finally crested the hill, and there was the Temple. It got me thinking about how running is so much like our journey through life. Running is hard, life is hard. There are so many ups and downs, potholes and dead end trails. But the Temple is always in sight. However, it is usually at the top of a hill. Nothing about being worthy of the temple, or even attempting to attend the temple is easy. There is always an obstacle in our way. It can be temptations, bad habits, feeling unworthy, not having enough time, kids etc.

But what really matters is that we keep putting one foot in front of the other. That when those hills come, we keep our eye on the goal. We focus on what is on top of that hill, just past that trial. And we don't lessen our stride, but we push forward, knowing that it will all be worth it in the end.

1 comment:

  1. I also learned this on a run and had a similar experience. My iPod joined in on the experience by playing David Archuleta's Other side of Down song which said: One foot in front of the other...no nothings gonna break my stride. gotta keep fighting, gotta keep climbing...till I make it to the other side of Down. Even though there are those Hills, if we keep striving to do our best and work towards those goals (better temple attendence ect) there will be a down ward slope to ease the pain of the Hill. Loved this!! And LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete